North Korea says the country has no interest in a summit with the United States if it is to be a "one-sided" affair where it is pressured to give up its nuclear weapons.
The statement by First Vice Foreign Minister Kim Kye Gwan on Wednesday came hours after the North abruptly cancelled a high-level meeting with South Korea and threatened to do the same with a planned summit between North Korean leader Kim Jong-un and US President Donald Trump next month.
The minister criticised recent comments by Mr Trump's top security adviser, John Bolton, and other US officials who had been talking about how the North should follow the "Libyan model" of nuclear disarmament and provide a, "complete, verifiable and irreversible dismantlement".
He also criticised other US comments that the North should completely abandon not only its nuclear weapons and missiles but also its biological and chemical weapons.
"We will appropriately respond to the Trump administration if it approaches the North Korea-US summit meeting with a truthful intent to improve relations," he said.
"But we are no longer interested in a negotiation that will be all about driving us into a corner and making a one-sided demand for us to give up our nukes and this would force us to reconsider whether we would accept the North Korea-US summit meeting."
Some analysts said bringing up Libya, which dismantled its rudimentary nuclear program in the 2000s in exchange for sanctions relief, would risk derailing any progress in negotiations with the North.
The North Korean leader took power weeks after former Libyan leader Moamar Gaddafi's gruesome death at the hands of rebel forces amid a popular uprising in October, 2011.
The North has frequently used Mr Gaddafi's death to justify its own nuclear development in the face of perceived US threats.